Abstract Title:

Death following cupric sulfate emesis.

Abstract Source:

J Toxicol Clin Toxicol. 2001;39(2):161-3. PMID: 11407502

Abstract Author(s):

J Liu, S Kashimura, K Hara, G Zhang

Article Affiliation:

Department of Chemistry, China Medical University, Shenyang, People's Republic of China. [email protected]


Case History: A 25-year-old woman who had ingested about 20 tablets of diazepam 2.5 mg in a suicide attempt was given cupric sulfate 2.5 g in 1750 mL water as an emetic, but died 3 days later. On autopsy, death was attributed to acute hemolysis and acute renal failure due to copper poisoning. Copper concentrations were 5.31 microg/mL in whole blood, 19.0 microg/g in the liver, 8.9 microg/g in the kidney, 1.1 microg/L in the brain, 1.1 microg/g in the gastric wall, 1.5 microg/g in the jejunal wall, 0.3 microg/g in the colon wall, 4.6 microg/g in the gastric contents, and 12.6 microg/g in the intestinal contents (fresh weight). This case and 10 others from the Chinese medical literature provide additional evidence that cupric sulfate is a corrosive poison and contraindicated as an emetic.

Study Type : Human Study
Additional Links
Problem Substances : Cupric Sulfate : CK(54) : AC(0)

Print Options

Key Research Topics

Sayer Ji
Founder of GreenMedInfo.com

Subscribe to our informative Newsletter & get Nature's Evidence-Based Pharmacy

Our newsletter serves 500,000 with essential news, research & healthy tips, daily.

Download Now

500+ pages of Natural Medicine Alternatives and Information.

This website is for information purposes only. By providing the information contained herein we are not diagnosing, treating, curing, mitigating, or preventing any type of disease or medical condition. Before beginning any type of natural, integrative or conventional treatment regimen, it is advisable to seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.

© Copyright 2008-2022 GreenMedInfo.com, Journal Articles copyright of original owners, MeSH copyright NLM.