Article Publish Status: FREE
Abstract Title:

Low serum docosahexaenoic acid is associated with progression of coronary atherosclerosis in statin-treated patients with diabetes mellitus

Abstract Source:

Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2014 ;13:13. Epub 2014 Jan 13. PMID: 24410834

Abstract Author(s):

Tsuyoshi Nozue, Shingo Yamamoto, Shinichi Tohyama, Kazuki Fukui, Shigeo Umezawa, Yuko Onishi, Tomoyuki Kunishima, Akira Sato, Toshihiro Nozato, Shogo Miyake, Youichi Takeyama, Yoshihiro Morino, Takao Yamauchi, Toshiya Muramatsu, Kiyoshi Hibi, Mitsuyasu Terashima, Ichiro Michishita

Article Affiliation:

Tsuyoshi Nozue


BACKGROUND: Diabetes mellitus (DM) accelerates plaque progression despite the use of statin therapy. The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the determinants of atheroma progression in statin-treated patients with DM.

METHODS: Coronary atherosclerosis in nonculprit lesions in a vessel undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) was evaluated using virtual histology intravascular ultrasound. The study included 50 patients with DM who had been taking statin therapy for 8 months at the time of PCI.

RESULTS: Twenty-six patients (52%) showed atheroma progression (progressors) and the remaining 24 patients (48%) showed atheroma regression (regressors) after 8 months of follow-up. Fewer progressors than regressors received intensive lipid-lowering therapy with pitavastatin (31% vs. 50%, p = 0.17) and the frequency of insulin use was higher in progressors (31% vs. 13%, p = 0.18). However, neither of these differences reached statistical significance. Risk factor control at baseline and at the 8-month follow-up did not differ between the 2 groups except for serum levels of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Univariate regression analysis showed that serum EPA (r = -0.317, p = 0.03) and DHA (r = -0.353, p = 0.02) negatively correlated with atheroma progression. Multivariate stepwise regression analysis showed that low serum DHA and pravastatin use were significant independent predictors for atheroma progression during statin therapy (DHA:β = -0.414, type of statin: β = -0.287, p = 0.001).

CONCLUSIONS: Low serum DHA is associated with progression of coronary atherosclerosis in statin-treated patients with DM.

TRIAL REGISTRATION: UMIN Clinical Trials Registry, UMIN ID: C000000311.

Study Type : Human Study

Print Options

Key Research Topics

Sayer Ji
Founder of

Subscribe to our informative Newsletter & get Nature's Evidence-Based Pharmacy

Our newsletter serves 500,000 with essential news, research & healthy tips, daily.

Download Now

500+ pages of Natural Medicine Alternatives and Information.

This website is for information purposes only. By providing the information contained herein we are not diagnosing, treating, curing, mitigating, or preventing any type of disease or medical condition. Before beginning any type of natural, integrative or conventional treatment regimen, it is advisable to seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.

© Copyright 2008-2022, Journal Articles copyright of original owners, MeSH copyright NLM.