Abstract Title:

Severe acute kidney injury associated with non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs in cirrhosis: a case-control study.

Abstract Source:

J Hepatol. 2015 Apr 11. Epub 2015 Apr 11. PMID: 25872166

Abstract Author(s):

Chiara Elia, Isabel Graupera, Rogelio Barreto, Elsa Solà, Rebeca Moreira, Patricia Huelin, Xavier Ariza, Cristina Solé, Elisa Pose, Anna Baiges, Núria Fabrellas, Esteban Poch, Javier Fernández, Vicente Arroyo, Pere Ginès

Article Affiliation:

Chiara Elia


BACKGROUND AND AIM: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) may cause impairment of kidney function in patients with cirrhosis. Investigational studies demonstrated reversibility of kidney dysfunction after drug withdrawal, but information based on clinical practice is lacking. Study aim was to investigate the characteristics and outcome of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) developing in patients with cirrhosis treated with NSAIDs.

METHODS: Prospective cohort study in a tertiary referral centre of all patients with NSAIDs-associated AKI seen from 2002 to 2014. For comparison, three control groups of patients with hypovolemic-induced AKI, type-1 HRS and ATN, respectively, were also evaluated. Urinary excretion of neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (uNGAL) was measured in a subset of patients.

RESULTS: Thirty patients with cirrhosis and NSAIDs-associated AKI were identified. In 19 patients (63%) AKI was transient and kidney function rapidly recovered (4±3 days) after NSAIDs withdrawal. In the remaining 11 patients (37%) AKI was more severe and persisted during hospitalization despite drug withdrawal. Patients with persistent AKI had remarkably higher uNGAL levels compared with those of patients with transient AKI (953±1,198 vs 83±79 μg/gr of creatinine, respectively, p=0.008). Moreover, 7 of the 11 patients with persistent AKI (64%) died within three months compared with only 1 of the 19 (5%) patients with transient AKI (p=0.001). Mortality of persistent AKI was similar in NSAIDs patients compared to control groups. The only independentpredictive factor of 3-month mortality was persistent AKI.

CONCLUSIONS: Patients with cirrhosis treated with NSAIDs may develop severe AKI which may be irreversible and associated with poor short-term outcome.

Study Type : Human Study

Print Options

Key Research Topics

Sayer Ji
Founder of GreenMedInfo.com

Subscribe to our informative Newsletter & get Nature's Evidence-Based Pharmacy

Our newsletter serves 500,000 with essential news, research & healthy tips, daily.

Download Now

500+ pages of Natural Medicine Alternatives and Information.

This website is for information purposes only. By providing the information contained herein we are not diagnosing, treating, curing, mitigating, or preventing any type of disease or medical condition. Before beginning any type of natural, integrative or conventional treatment regimen, it is advisable to seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.

© Copyright 2008-2022 GreenMedInfo.com, Journal Articles copyright of original owners, MeSH copyright NLM.